It's hard to picture Tony Romo in uniform for a team other than the Cowboys.

The quarterback turned commentator led a Hall of Fame career on the football field over 14 seasons in Dallas, but former NBA star Caron Butler thinks Romo could have also led a successful career on the basketball court.

"Believe it or not, man, when we were in the prime of our careers, I used to always talk about it: [Romo] could have easily been a professional basketball player," Butler . "And a lot of people were like, 'Man, you're crazy for saying that,' but Tony could shoot. He could handle the ball. He had a knack for scoring, man, he really did."

"He was a really good football player, obviously, being a quarterback. He was great at golf. And he was really good at basketball," Butler said. "Obviously it worked out for him with the football, but I wouldn't have been surprised if he would have made it playing basketball.

"He had a great feel for the game, man. And it's not surprising. Golf is a cerebral game; you gotta have that mental component to conquer the course. And then football's the same thing; you gotta be able to think on the fly and do all these things. And then basketball, I thought, all those components worked together."

Romo will have the opportunity to experience what could have been when he serves as "Maverick for a day" for the team's final regular-season home game Tuesday against the Nuggets. Though he won't see any court time, he'll suit up in a Mavericks uniform and sit on the bench with the team.