INJURED Eagle Brad Sheppard has described how a mix of agony and ecstasy in being forced to watch Saturday’s grand final cut so deep that he had a serious panic attack in the opening minutes of the game.

Sheppard, one of the team’s best and most dependable players this season, was devastated when he seriously injured a hamstring in West Coast’s qualifying final win over Collingwood at Optus Stadium.

He joined injured ruckman Nic Naitanui and suspended midfielder Andrew Gaff as three key sidelined players that many critics thought would cost the team a premiership.

But as the Eagles claimed one of the most extraordinary comeback wins in grand final history, having trailed five goals to none in the first quarter, Sheppard said his body went into spasm in the stands.

“I had a bloody panic attack in the stands in the first five minutes,” said Sheppard, who last week was also forced to deal with a sudden death in his family.

“I had to go and sit in the bathroom for 10 minutes before I could come back out and watch the game. I tightened up and started sweating and my heart was really going.”

Sheppard cut a solemn figure amid the post-game celebrations, standing back watching what he wished he had been doing.

“I’m quite numb, to be honest with you,” Sheppard said.

“Seeing your best mates win a flag and not being a part of it ... I’m so happy with the job they’ve done, but shattered I can’t be a part of it. I love the footy club and all the boys and to see their success now I’m really happy and wish I was there.”

Gaff cried uncontrollably at times in the game’s aftermath and Naitanui stood at the back of the club’s premiership celebration dinner looking wistful as he sipped on a beer. They had all been targeted by their teammates for condolence on the ground before the medal presentations and Sheppard said his emotional moments with fellow defenders Jeremy McGovern and his replacement in the team Will Schofield, were powerful.

Both teammates had embraced Sheppard with lingering hugs.

“It was good the boys coming up and giving me a cuddle, but seeing Gov break down in front of you is hard,” he said.

“We’ve been through a lot together like all the backs down there and it makes me lost for words. I told Will he played a cracking game and that there was no better player to come in and do that role.

“It probably shows I wasn’t really needed out there, but I’m really happy for Will. He’s one of those guys who’s been in and out, but has had a positive attitude all year and while his success is at my expense, that’s footy and he did us all proud.

“Some of my best mates are at this footy club and I’ve got such a tight bond with every player ... that spirit and brotherhood we talk about. We showed today it’s authentic and not just a throwaway line.”

Veteran forward Mark LeCras praised the sidelined trio for also having a positive attitude that helped drive the team to victory.

“We wouldn’t have won today if it wasn’t for those guys, we just wouldn’t be here,” an emotional LeCras said.

“The character that they’ve got to get injured and still throw their whole weight behind us as a team … they don’t just go off and do their rehab quietly.

“Whether it was Nic, Gaffy or Shep, they’ve been able to in some way help us out in our prep with learning or coaching or game-day roles. They really deserve a medal as well.”

Sheppard vowed to channel his disappointment positively.

“I just hope the boys will stay as motivated as I will be next year,” he said.