Both Boult and de Grandhomme missed the second Test against England. © Getty

New Zealand pace spearhead Trent Boult and allrounder Colin de Grandhomme have been cleared to tour Australia ahead of the first Test in Perth, on Friday (December 6).

Both cricketers have made progress with their respective injuries and successfully came through a training session in Mount Maunganui. Boult sustained a side strain injury and was unable to bowl more than one over on the final day of the first Test against England. Meanwhile, de Grandhomme suffered a tear to his left lower abdominal muscle in the same game. Subsequently, both were ruled out of the second Test in Hamilton.

"Trent Boult and Colin de Grandhomme are both making good progress with their injuries and successfully trained today at Bay Oval," NZC posted on Twitter. "The pair will travel with the team to Perth tomorrow."

Earlier in the week, Gary Stead, the New Zealand coach, also sounded optimistic about the duo's participation in the first Test against Australia, a day-night fixture starting on December 12. "I don't know if I'm really confident, but I'm quietly optimistic they're tracking where we want them to be," he noted.

In Boult's absence, Matt Henry played the second Test against England in Hamilton, with Daryl Mitchell replacing de Grandhomme. Lockie Ferguson, the tearaway, is also in the mix for selection.