The Blue Jackets finished the second period of Friday's game against the Capitals without Zach Werenski.

The 20-year-old defenseman exited the game in the second period after he was inadvertently struck in the groin by the skate of Capitals forward T.J. Oshie.
On the replay, you can see that Werenski takes an inadvertent kick from T.J. Oshie. #CBJ pic.twitter.com/vaVnCSIqJd
— 1st Ohio Battery (@1stOhioBattery) February 10, 2018
Werenski was tended to by the medical staff at Capital One Arena in Washington. He collapsed to the ice following the accidental kick and Columbus athletic trainer Mike Vogt immediately rushed out to attend to the Michigan native. Werenski was then helped off the ice by teammates Brandon Dubinsky and Josh Anderson and taken to the locker room.

The good news is Werenski was able to return to the ice for the start of the third period as the Capitals held a 4-2 lead. The 4-2 score wound up as the final result.

"I feel OK and I'm sure most of you guys can understand the kind of pain I was in there," Werenski told reporters following the game. "I feel pretty good right now. It wasn't fun by any means. I won't go into details, but I'm fine. I avoided hopping the boards a little bit.