IT’S not worth sticking with Ben Hunt for Game III because when the series is on the line next year, he is not the man you want calling the shots.

That’s the stinging assessment from his former teammate and Fox League expert Justin Hodges, who said the Dragons pivot has had more than enough opportunities to prove the critics wrong.

“You would’ve hoped Ben Hunt really stood up,” he said.

“I think he’s such a wonderfully talented player, just at big stages he hasn’t hit that mark yet.”

He added that he had discussed the issue with former Maroons and now Kangaroos head coach Mal Meninga, who agreed Hunt wasn’t the answer at No.7.

“I was talking to Mal Meninga the other day and he thinks at that level he’s probably a better No. 9, but Andrew McCullough didn’t do anything wrong either,” he continued.

“Whether you start him at nine or put him on the bench, but then you’ve got Kalyn Ponga so you’ve got so many headaches.”

Hodges said the upcoming dead-rubber is the time to make changes, and he wants to see Ash Taylor join Cameron Munster in the halves.

“So you look at giving young Ash Taylor a go, I think he deserves his shot he’s been playing very well.

“I think Ash Taylor will definitely be the future, he’s still working on his game but the seasons he’s had over the last couple of years, he’s starting to learn game management as well, so I think he’ll be a fantastic player [for Queensland].”

Hodges would also drop Jarrod Wallace after the bookend ran for less than 50 metres for his third straight Origin match.

“You’d put maybe Josh McGuire back up to the front row and you move Jai Arrow into the lock position and bring young Joe Ofahengaue onto the bench,” he suggested.

“I think Kevvie will make more changes now, I think it makes sense. You don’t want to make too many changes coming into Game I next year when you know the Blues side is going to be the same side it was the last two games barring injuries or suspensions.

“Obviously you don’t want to lose Game III and lose 3-0 in the series, but it just gives you a bit of an out to try and blood some new players and maybe put other players in different positions where maybe we couldn’t if it was a decider.”