JARROD Berry says Brisbane has no hard feelings towards Dayne Beams after the former Lions skipper's shock trade to Collingwood last month.

Speaking at the Lions' first day of pre-season training on Monday, Berry said he was surprised Beams requested the move, but totally understood why.

"For me it was a surprise," Berry said.

"I thought he might have been sticking around for another year."

But if there's one teammate that could empathise with Beams, it was Berry.

In 2013 Berry lost his mother Jedda to cancer – just as Beams lost his father Philip earlier this year, starting a difficult personal year for the 28-year-old.

"I texted him straight away and he opened up to me and told me his personal reasons," Berry said.

"I was very understanding of that straight away.

"I went through the same thing and everyone takes a tragedy like that in a different way and he's still mourning. It's the best thing for him.

"Beamsy was a great person to have around the club, really family-orientated man.

"He helped me tremendously when I first moved here to fit in and feel welcome.

"This year I'll still be in contact with him because we're close mates.

"It was just the best thing for him at this point in his career that he needed to move on and all the boys are very understanding of what he went through and his need to go home."

On the same day he was unveiled as the face of the club's 'Uncaged' membership drive, Berry was one of the front-runners on the first day of training.

While the 20-year-old impressed in hot and humid Brisbane conditions, a couple of older faces showed up two weeks before they were due to return.

Luke Hodge pounded out the laps and took part in some skill work, while Mitch Robinson and Dan McStay were also among the players to return early.

Teenage Irish rookie James Madden got a rude introduction to the sweltering Queensland heat and showed off his blistering speed in some 300m reps.

Charlie Cameron was also jogging laps, an encouraging sign for a man that missed the final three months of last season after undergoing foot surgery for a Lisfranc injury.