The German club were dumped out by Atletico Madrid but their victory on Tuesday was their 12th consecutive home win in the competition

Bayern Munich may have been dumped out of the Champions League, but they also equalled a record set by Manchester United in 2008.

Pep Guardiola’s side sealed a 2-1 victory over Atletico Madrid, missing out on the final due to away goals.

But the win was Bayern’s 12th in a row in the Champions League in front of their own fans - equalling the same run United registered between 2006 and 2008.

The record will be scant consolation for Guardiola, who has been knocked out of the Champions League at the semi-final stage for the last three seasons.

“We did everything we could,” said the Bayern coach.

“Now I hope Carlo Ancelotti next season can keep this same level going. I know he can do this.

“The club has a great future because with these players and this mentality there is always going to be a great future. I just wish the best for this club.

“I’ve helped the players here, we’ve played as well as we could and I’m very satisfied with the performances that we’ve given. Maybe it just wasn’t enough.”