''It is a young group of players. Hopefully some of these players can make it big and get into the World Cup squad" - Domingo © Getty

Bangladesh began their preparation for the upcoming T20I series against Pakistan with an eye on settling down their squad for the T20 World Cup in Australia. Russell Domingo, the team's head coach, stated his openness to experiment with his young group of players in Pakistan so as to try and zero down on the World Cup probables at least.

''It is a young group of players. Hopefully some of these players can make it big and get into the World Cup squad, which is not finalized yet," Domingo said. "After this series, we have to keep our squad as small as possible. I think we can play with a maximum of 16 or 17 players in the next couple of series."

Domingo also said that the players will have to be ready to bat in different positions, as and when required, for the sake of the team in the lead up to the World Cup. Playing in different positions will help the players, especially young players, "find new strings to their game."

"A guy like Soumya, who batted No 3 in India, may end up batting at No 6 in Pakistan," Domingo said. "Riyad may bat at No 5. Afif might come up to No 3 or 4. Shanto has finished his campaign well. The best players can play under any conditions, in any position. If you bat Morgan at No 3 or 6, he is successful. If you bat Kane Williamson at No 3 or 5, he will find a way to do that role. It is a great opportunity for the young players to find new strings to their game. I am excited by it. If a guy like Liton has to bat at No 4 for a game or two, that's fine. If Mithun has to bat at No 3, that's okay. If Afif has to go from No 6 to opening, he has to learn to do those things."

Tamim's role: grafter or aggressor?

It will also be the first time that Domingo will be working with the senior pro, Tamim Iqbal, who returns to the national set-up after a break. Tamim hasn't played international cricket since the World Cup. His poor run of scores in that tournament forced him to take a break from the game, post which he was supposed to return for the India tour in October but pulled out because of personal reasons. As for T20Is, Tamim last played in the format in December 2018.

Tamin, who has recovered well from a groin injury and declared medically fit to feature in the Pakistan series, is known to play the role of the grafter in the side of late, but Domingo said that he will need time on the tour to discuss and zero down on Tamim's role going forward.

"It is my first tour with Tamim. I have to understand him a bit more. I know he had a role with his BPL team, and it is something that we need to discuss with our team," said Domingo.

"At the moment, no decision is made. I will think about it. Depends on who he opens with. If he is playing with a dasher, he can play that role (of a grafter). If he is opening with someone inexperienced, he may have to play positively. The discussions will take place in the next couple of days," he added.

Who will be Bangladesh's captain at T20 World Cup?

Bangladesh's current skipper, Mahmudullah, missed the opening day practice due to flu though BCB insisted that he will be fine before they travel to Pakistan. Meanwhile, Domingo has said that he wants Mahmudullah to lead the side until the World Cup, the 33-year-old getting the captaincy back after Shakib al Hasan was ruled out due to his ICC ban. "I am hoping he leads us in the World Cup T20. He has my full support. I thought he did a great job in India. I have enjoyed working with him. I think he is a good professional. He has respect of the change room. He is a world-class player. He is my captain,'' said Domingo.

"Pretty comfortable" going to Pakistan

The South African also clarified that he doesn't have any problem travelling to Pakistan and added that though they will miss the services of Mushfiqur on the tour he respects his decision. He said it's an "opportunity for someone else" to stand up and fill in his shoes.

"For me it was easy. I have signed up to coach Bangladesh, so I will continually go to monitor and develop the team. I am pretty comfortable (going to Pakistan). Looking forward to it. I have never been to Pakistan. I am seeing it as a good challenge, adventure and learning to see how cricket works in that country," said Domingo.

"I don't think focusing on cricket will be difficult for the boys. If you are facing a bowler, you only think about the ball. Same goes for the bowler. Sometimes being a closed environment is good for the team. It galvanizes the team. We are looking forward to it."