AUSTRALIA have been praised for the fight shown in refusing to fold on day three of the their series finale in South Africa, as all-rounder Mitchell Marsh offered a brutal insight into the exhaustion levels that are taking over the team’s overworked bowlers.

Australia spent five sessions in the field in the first innings, sending down 137 overs as they were beaten down by centurion Aiden Markram and the recalled Temba Bavuma (95 not out).

After a mentally draining week, and a short turnaround from the third Test, the bowlers needed a lengthy break to recharge the batteries.

Instead, it took a two-hour stay at the crease from Pat Cummins — in combination with captain Tim Paine — to ensure Australia’s innings didn’t fold inside 50 overs.

When they returned to the field, Australia’s bowlers looked exhausted — three of which, Cummins, Josh Hazlewood and Nathan Lyon, played in all five Ashes Tests and have had enormous workloads this summer.

Newcomer Chadd Sayers bowled 35 overs in the first innings, while Lyon bowled a team-high 40.

Both showed signs of fatigue as they went about their business on Sunday, with Lyon churning through a further 25 overs.

“I’m really proud of everyone’s effort today. I thought the way we batted in the first session, Patty and Timmy Paine showed great fight,” said all-rounder Mitchell Marsh.

“The way our bowlers bowled today, his afternoon, was exceptional.

“They’re pretty tired. I’m not going to lie to you, they’re cooked.

“But the way they fought today for us... I thought Nathan Lyon was unbelievable and could’ve easily had five wickets today the way he bowled.”

Marsh challenged his teammates to show that same level of spirit for the remaining two days in a bid to deny South Africa victory — or perhaps even pull off a great escape victory.

“The thing now is we’ve got to come out tomorrow and keep that same fight for the rest of the game,” Marsh added.

Former Australian captain Allan Border was less optimistic, but he too was encouraged by their gutsy display on day three — a day in which they arrived at 6-110 with many expecting a quick finish from the home side.

“I was impressed with the fight from the Australian team. Overnight there was an expectation that they would just fold today,” Border said.

“There were only four wickets to be taken and the expectation was there’d be a follow-on and Australia would be in all sorts of strife after the third day.

“I really enjoyed the fight from Cummins and Paine in the morning session. They showed some grit and determination.”

When asked after the close of play by South African great Shaun Pollock if there was any chance of an Australian victory — with Morkel injured and two days still to play — Border admitted it was a fanciful idea.

“Do you want me to be patriotic or do you want me to be honest?” Border said.

“I don’t think Australia can win, no. I just want to see a good, hard-fought batting effort, win, lose or draw ... that’s what I want to see.”