AN ASHES showdown on the golf course could be an epic addition to the golfing calendar, if a gap in the packed schedule can be found.

English Ryder Cup stalwart Ian Poulter says a clash with the best Australians in a team event would be an “incredible match-up”.

Between them Australia and England boast 11 of the world’s top 40 players, including Poulter (35) and his partner at next month’s World Cup of Golf, Tyrell Hatton (23).

Both represented Europe in the Ryder Cup against Team USA in September and are strong advocates of playing for their country as much as possible.

That would include any opportunity to take on the Aussies, which the English pair will do at Metropolitan in November, where Marc Leishman and Cameron Smith will lead the home team’s charge.

“I mean, I would love it. I would love the opportunity and I think it would be an absolutely incredible match-up,” Poulter said of an Ashes-style showdown.

“There’s definitely opportunities to look at ways to make great events. Obviously, the Ryder Cup being the pinnacle of it, and I think that certainly would be a hard one to rival with the history.

“But when you look at how big that event’s got, you can always look, try and emulate tournaments like that if an opportunity arises and the calendar opens itself up.”

Poulter, who won the Australian Masters at Kingston Heath in 2011 and was runner-up behind Adam Scott the next year, said representing England brought the best out of him.

And he hoped that his national pride, plus his positive Melbourne experiences, would give he and Hatton an advantage in the World Cup.

But he conceded the Aussies should be the team to beat.

“For me, I enjoy that pressure, I enjoy the atmosphere, I enjoy the fact of pride of putting the shirt on and going out,” he said.

“You know, I’m quite excited to get down there to see the course, to play, and obviously compete in the World Cup. It’s an opportunity again to, you know, put a team shirt on, feel the buzz and excitement. We do look good on paper.

“I definitely see that Australian partnership as being favourites and I see them as the team to beat.”