REACTING to the urging of former world No 1 Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, Hana Sonton has become the first Aussie since Destanee Aiava to reach the Longines Future Tennis Aces tournament quarter-finals.

The Gold Coast prodigy won three of four round-robin matches, downing opponents from Singapore, Germany and Great Britain.

Her only defeat was to tournament favourite Mio Mushika, of Japan.

Sanchez Vicario, a tournament ambassador, urged Sonton and her rivals to “take advantage of an opportunity I never had at your age.”

“You are privileged to be playing in such a tournament,” the Spaniard said.

Aiava, now 18 and embarking on a professional career, was the most recent Australian to reach the last eight in Paris.

The Victorian swept to title glory, earning a multi-year bursary - and a hit with Steffi Graf.

Sonton will gain a similar reward - both Graf and her grand slam-winning husband Andre Agassi will play a mixed doubles match against the winners - if she emulates Aiava.

Unfortunately for Sonton, her partner on Saturday won’t be Perth’s Zach Viiala.

He failed to qualify from a tough pool.

Sonton was elated after advancing.

“I never dreamt I’d get to play on clay in Paris,” she said.

“Now I get to play on a court under the Eiffel Tower.”

A hard-courter, Sonton has intelligently adapted her game to slow red clay and her composure has impressed many international coaches.

The right-hander last year won Tennis Australia’s Showdown, underlining her potential and steely resolve.