Andy Murray's former mentor, Ivan Lendl, will not be taking over coaching duties with Tomas Berdych.

The world No 7 admits the pair had spoken to each other regarding the role but, according to Berdych, Lendl was unable to commit enough time to the job.

Lendl helped turn Murray into a Grand Slam champion, and was with him when the Scot won the US Open in 2012, Wimbledon the following year, and also when he won a singles gold medal at the London Olympics.

"So many things to coaching which I don't enjoy: travel, airports, being on the road for so long."
Ivan Lendl
Berdych has made no secret of his desire to work with the eight-time Grand Slam winner who also hails from the Czech Republic.

The 29-year-old Berdych, who reached the Wimbledon singles final four years ago, reported on his Twitter account on Monday: "I had a great time talking about tennis with Ivan Lendl today. Result? Ivan would like to help me but he is too busy.”

Lendl has always said he would like to return to coaching at some stage, having left Murray earlier this year.

The 54-year-old remarked recently: "I've had a lot of enquiries. Eventually, when the time and situation are right, I will do it again.

"There are so many things to coaching which I don't enjoy: the travel, the airports, being on the road for so long.

"I don't like doing anything in half-measures so, in order to do it properly, it takes a lot of time. That's the hardest part."

Berdych is the top seed at this week's Stockholm Open as he continues his bid to qualify for the ATP World Tour Finals in London for a fifth straight year.