ENGLAND quick Stuart Broad has enhanced his reputation as public enemy No.1 in Australia.

Broad was booed every time his name was read over the loudspeakers at the Gabba during the past four days as England headed towards a massive first Test defeat and it is set to continue after his latest antics.

Australia’s disdain for Broad dates back to the first Test of the 2013 Ashes series at Trent Bridge in England.

Broad more than nicked an Ashton Agar delivery that deflected off wicketkeeper Brad Haddin’s gloves and was caught by Michael Clarke at first slip.

Umpire Aleem Dar said “not out” and Broad refused to walk. Australia had no referrals to challenge the decision.

At the Gabba on Sunday, Aussie wicketkeeper Tim Paine threw the ball in the air and celebrated after Broad played at, and appeared to miss, a Mitchell Starc delivery.

Paine was convinced Broad had hit it. Starc wasn’t and neither was Dar. Broad gave away nothing.

Aussie captain Steve Smith showed faith in his wicketkeeper and referred the decision.

The beautiful technology known as “Hot Spot” picked up the faintest of edges. Broad had hit it. Again.

Only this time he had to walk after Dar’s decision was overturned and England’s innings was on the ropes.

Broad, England’s best bowler throughout the match, said he had been disappointed with the level of booing directed his way by the Brisbane crowd.

“I had to share the boos with Rooty (Joe Root) a little bit, I was a bit disappointed actually,” he said.

“I have been booed a little bit but certainly nothing like four years ago, four years ago you could barely hear yourself think.

“(But) I quite like that side of thing. I like the battle in sport and if the opposition fans are ignoring you that means you are not very good at your job.”

The nick was so faint Broad could be forgiven for not knowing he had hit it but with form on the board the Australian public is unlikely to be so kind.

England’s villain has confirmed his status and is here to stay. It’s now up to the Adelaide Oval faithful to carry on the tradition from Saturday.