THREE-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray withdrew from the ATP Washington Open on Friday, hours after a 3am finish that left him crying into a towel following his victory.

The 31-year-old British star, who returned in June from an 11-month lay-off with a right hip injury, also withdrew from next week’s ATP Toronto Masters, citing the fatigue from three gruelling three-set Washington victories.

“I’ve played quite a few matches this week in Washington and I need to be smart with my rest and recovery as I come back from injury,” Murray said.

The 31-year-old Scotsman, whose next US Open hardcourt tune-up event will be the Cincinnati Masters starting August 13, was angry following his 6-7 (5/7), 6-3, 7-6 (7/4) victory over Romanian Marius Copil at having been forced to play from midnight to 3am — the latest finish in the Washington event’s 50-year history.

After the match, Murray wept into a towel for several minutes and later said he was considering withdrawing.

When he did, it handed a walkover into the semi-finals to 19-year-old Australian Alex de Minaur, who ousted 11th seed Steve Johnson and eighth seed Chung Hyeon, both on Thursday.