ANDREW Gaff gave no hints about his future during his speech at West Coast’s John Worsfold Medal function on Friday night.

The 26-year-old was leading the vote count for much of the season before being overtaken after copping an eight-week suspension for striking Fremantle’s Andrew Brayshaw in round 20. It was an act which now appears to have cost him both a premiership and a second club best and fairest.

Gaff finished the count in fifth place, behind winner Elliot Yeo, Jack Redden, Shannon Hurn and Jamie Cripps, but averaged the most votes per game across the season.

The free agent’s future has been one of the talking points of the season, with the decision coming down to staying at West Coast or joining North Melbourne on a lucrative contract.

The window to lodge free agency paperwork opened on Friday, but speaking to the crowd at the Perth Convention Centre, Gaff gave no indication of what his decision would be.

Gaff praised his teammates, support staff and his partner, but reserved special praise for Adam Simpson and departing midfield coach Sam Mitchell.

“The last week or so has been unbelievable to celebrate with all you guys. It's a special moment,” he said.

“I’d like to thank Simmo - he’s there for me when things are going well but also when times are tough. I appreciate your support throughout this difficult time for me.

“Mitch, you’ve taught me so much in a year of footy and I’m sad to see you go.

“What you’ve taught me is something that I can bring for the rest of my career and for the rest of my life.

“Like everyone said its a highlight of our lives coming into work every day. It puts a smile on all our faces and it’s great to share the win with you and it’s been a great week celebrating.”