BEN Simmons is destined for greatness.

That’s the view of Sydney Kings big man Andrew Bogut after the Philadelphia 76ers sensation became the first Australian to win the NBA’s Rookie of the Year award.

As expected, Simmons claimed the prestigious honour ahead of Utah point guard Donovan Mitchell and Boston’s Jayson Tatum at a lavish ceremony in Los Angeles.

Watching on from his home in Melbourne, Bogut couldn’t have been prouder of the rising Australian star’s achievement.

“It’s much deserved,” said Bogut, who was the first Australian to be the NBA’s No.1 Draft pick with the Milwaukee Bucks in 2005.

“I think it is the best regular season a rookie has had for a while.”

Simmons surged to the honour following a historic rookie season with Philadelphia under former Sydney coach Brett Brown.

He led the resurgent 76ers to the second round of the playoffs with averages of 15.8 points, 8.2 assists and 8.1 rebounds on almost 55 per cent shooting from the field.

Simmons also surpassed the legendary Magic Johnson for the second-most triple doubles in an NBA rookie season.

The point guard’s 12 triple doubles put him only behind the great Oscar Robertson, who had 26 with the Cincinnati Royals in 1961.

Simmons may be a clear winner in many people’s eyes, but some critics felt he should not be eligible for the award, given this year is technically his second in the NBA system.

The Newcastle-raised star fractured his foot on the eve of what was supposed to be his rookie season in 2017-2018, ruling him out for the year.

He may not have played, but he was still received the benefit of being inside an NBA franchise.

Despite the conjecture, the NBA ruled he was still eligible for the Rookie of the Year award.

A proud Simmons said he was honoured to receive his award.

“I’d like to thank my family, friends, I wouldn’t be here without them,” Simmons said.

“My teammates, of course, and my great coach Brett Brown and the city of Philadelphia for really embracing me and my family.”

Simmons is also the first Australian to win a major NBA award.

The NBA’s yearly awards were voted on by a panel featuring 100 members of the media from all over the world and tabled before the playoffs began.