Taron Egerton confirms he's met with Marvel Studios about joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which could be for the role of the new Wolverine. Thanks to Disney's acquisition of 20th Century a few years back, Marvel Studios gained the movie rights to all of the X-Men and Fantastic Four characters. Audiences have already started to see some of these characters in the MCU, as Patrick Stewart's Professor X was in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, which also included John Krasinski playing Mister Fantastic.

With plans for a Fantastic Four movie underway and Ryan Reynolds working on Deadpool 3, the MCU will keep introducing new versions of characters movie fans have seen before. One of the most challenging reboots on the horizon, though, is for Wolverine. Hugh Jackman's nearly two-decade run as Wolverine made him a superhero movie icon. This has put Marvel Studios in a tough spot of trying to find a creative way to reimagine Weapon X in the MCU. Furthermore, it puts great pressure on the next actor who will have adamantium claws popping from his hands.

Marvel's need for a new Wolverine actor has left fans to wonder who will play the iconic superhero next. There are plenty of popular choices from fans, ranging from Daniel Ratcliffe to Antony Starr to Egerton. During a recent interview with NY Times, Egerton confirms that he has met with Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige about joining the shared universe. The Kingsman franchise star even addressed the possibility of those meetings being about Wolverine. Check out the relevant excerpt from the profile below:

"I don’t think it would be wrong to say that,” he said, laughing. “I’d be excited but I’d be apprehensive as well, because Hugh is so associated with the role that I’d wonder if it’d be very difficult for someone else to do it.”

He paused, then flashed a grin. “But hopefully if it does come around, they’ll give me a shot.”

Marvel Studios has not revealed any plans to feature Wolverine in upcoming Phase 4 MCU movies or TV shows. It is widely speculated that his introduction could come sooner than later, with rumors even stating that Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was going to introduce the MCU's Wolverine at one point. If that was true, then it is possible Egerton's conversations with Marvel Studios were about that opportunity.

Egerton has not been particularly shy about his interest in playing Wolverine in the MCU. He's previously posted photos of himself doing Hugh Jackman's Wolverine pose, and the grin in this interview is quite telling. Thanks to his growing stardom and action movie experience (not to mention his shorter 5'9 height), Egerton has a lot of great qualities to play Wolverine in the MCU. He might actually have the inside track to taking over the role too, now that he's confirmed meetings with Marvel Studios. Now it is just a matter of seeing if those conversations actually make Egerton's the MCU's Wolverine.