Brad Pitt, one of the most prominent movie stars of the past few decades, may retire soon, saying he's on the "last leg" of his acting career. The American actor first gained recognition in 1991 for his role as a cowboy hitchhiker in Ridley Scott's road film Thelma & Louise. Following leading roles in big-budget productions like A River Runs Through It, Legends of the Fall, and Interview with the Vampire, Pitt began to garner critical acclaim for his performances in films like David Fincher's crime thriller Seven and Terry Gilliam's sci-fi hit 12 Monkeys, the latter earning him his first Oscar nod.

Following nominations for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Moneyball, Pitt finally won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance as stunt double Cliff Booth in Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. After a brief break due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Pitt returned to the big screen with a memorable role in The Lost City alongside Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum. This year, Pitt will also be fronting a major summer tentpole in David Leitch’s Bullet Train and starring in Damien Chazelle's new film, Babylon, which features an ensemble cast. While it looked like the 58-year-old actor's career was just about to undergo a late resurgence, it appears that won't be the case.

During a recent interview with GQ magazine, Pitt suggested that he may retire from acting very soon, saying he's on the "last leg" of his acting career. The actor clearly considers his film career to be winding down rather than up again, calling this current period he's in the "last semester or trimester." Read Pitt's full comment below:

I consider myself on my last leg, this last semester or trimester. What is this section gonna be? And how do I wanna design that?

While it was beginning to look like Pitt may have been reinvigorated by his Oscar win and entering a new exciting chapter in his career, it's certainly disappointing to hear he may be ready to hang it up very soon. These comments from Pitt will likely draw attention to how the beloved film star charts the final course of his career. The high-octane Bullet Train releases in theaters on August 5, followed by another leading role for Pitt in Babylon which releases this Christmas. Other than those two films, Pitt is currently attached to star in an untitled Jon Watts project alongside George Clooney.

Beyond that, it's unclear how many more roles Pitt will take on considering these recent comments, which should be taken with a grain of salt. Pitt made similar comments in 2011 saying he expects to retire by 2014, which of course didn't happen. Since then, he's put in a few career-best performances in The Big Short and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, proving he still has a lot left in the tank. No matter when Brad Pitt decides to retire, he's already accomplished enough in his career to go down as one of the most legendary leading men of all time.