A DOG lover has warned people to be on the lookout after her beloved pooch ate a sausage roll vets say was “laced with rat poison”.

Blitz, a nine-year-old pointer, was in the front garden at his home in Leek, Staffordshire, when he spotted the food and started to eat it.

Owner Catrina Edwardson, 30, fortunately noticed Blitz had eaten some of the pastry and rushed her dog to the vets where it was revealed the sausage roll had been contaminated.

The RSPCA is now investigating the incident on July 25.

Catrina told Stoke-on-Trent Live: “We were going out in the morning and noticed the dog running towards the gate - he was trying to eat something.

“We noticed he had eaten a sausage roll and that it was laced with rat poison.

“We called the vet straight away and had to get the dog treated, it was very unnerving.

“The vets gave him medication and luckily he threw up everything he had swallowed. We then contacted the police.

“It was quite a scary experience and we don’t know whether it is an angered neighbour, or even someone trying to burgle the house.

“We’ve been quite frightened since this happened.”

Catrina is now worried this may not be an isolated incident and warned other dog owners to be vigilant.

A spokesman for the RSPCA said: “We received a call on Wednesday, July 25 after a dog was taken ill in the Shirburn Road area of Leek which it is understood was caused by poison. This must have been really upsetting for the owners.

“Anyone with information about what happened should contact the RSPCA’s appeal line in complete confidence on 0300 123 8018.”