England outclassed Sri Lanka in both the ODI and T20I series © AFP

Eoin Morgan says the comprehensive nature of England's victories over Sri Lanka were a "big positive" but he admits there was some frustration that his team were not pushed more by the tourists.

A washout in Bristol on Sunday in the final ODI prevented England from registering a six-nil clean sweep over Sri Lanka in the T20I and ODI series but the previous five matches were all one-sided affairs which England dominated. The game in Bristol looked like following the same pattern when England bowled Sri Lanka out for just 166 before the rain came and brought an early end to proceedings.

Even so, Morgan said his team had done all they could against the opponents put in front of them. "With the limited opportunity you want guys to be exposed as much as possible but that didn't necessarily happen throughout both series," Morgan said. "That aside, when you consider the threat that Sri Lanka are and their ability - they beat us in the World Cup and have a lot of capabilities and talent - to beat them the way that we did...that's quite a big positive.

"I think just when we're talking about winning, getting into the rhythm of making good decision after good decision is a really good habit to make. Yes when you make mistakes along the line they peg you back and you have to learn. Some are tougher than others. If there is a series or a game that presents itself, with the opportunities like it has done so far, we've done everything we can to take them."

Given Sri Lanka's batting frailties, the England's captain said he was not tempted to bat first in Bristol after winning the toss to at least give his batsmen 50 overs of practice. "No, there wasn't," Morgan said. "We wanted to win the series. A series is on the line. There's 10 points for each game you play. We are in the same mould as everyone else. We have given guys games in this series that haven't played in the T20 series, and that's a conscious effort to get games under guys' belts."

For the second game in succession Moeen Ali did not bowl while Morgan only gave the off-spinner two overs in the opening match at Durham. Moeen's recent record with the ball in ODI cricket is mixed - he has taken just four wickets in his last 90 overs - but Morgan said England will use the all-rounder's off-spin when they think the situation merits it, for instance if there is a string of left-handers in an opposition line-up.

"I think finger spinners in general over the last 3-4 years, haven't been as effective in all white-ball cricket," Morgan said. "When you speak about Moeen, he's a genuine all-rounder. There are stages when you look at different batters within our side and he's always considered in the highest regard in that mould as well. He shouldn't just be earmarked as a guy who is only going to play when he bowls."

Unfortunately for England, Sri Lanka's disappointing shows meant Moeen only got one innings with the bat during the ODI series, the same as Sam Billings. Morgan confirmed that both players were going to be moved up the order in Bristol to give them some time at the crease ahead of the series against Pakistan, which begins in Cardiff on Thursday (July 8). "Opportunity doesn't come around very often, so it is frustrating when it does happen but there is nothing we can do about it," Morgan said.

Neither Ben Stokes nor Jos Buttler have been included in the ODI squad to face Pakistan as they manage their comebacks from finger and calf injuries respectively. Stokes is currently playing for Durham in a County Championship match while Buttler has resumed running. However, Morgan was unsure whether either of them would come back into the fold for the three match T20I series which follows the 50-over games.

"The last thing we want to do is rush somebody back and jump with the level of intensity from county cricket to international when there isn't necessarily a need," he said of Stokes. "We are happy for Ben to progress as he sees fit, and obviously have one eye on the Test series [against India in August] as well."

On Buttler, Morgan said: "From what I'm hearing calves can be quite temperamental, it just depends on how he feels. In a similar instance to Ben, the priority wouldn't be to get him back as soon as possible if there's a 50-50 chance. I know he progressed his running a couple of days ago and does feel good, but things can change."