The ODI series begins on July 8. © Getty

Despite indifferent preparation ahead of the England series, Waqar Younis, Pakistan's bowling coach, is confident that his players will be in good rhythm once the One-Day International series starts on July 8.

Pakistan have come into the England tour to play three Twenty20 Internationals and three One-Day Internationals, soon after the second leg of the Pakistan Super League got over in the United Arab Emirates. After serving their quarantine period, the players were involved in an intra-squad practice game which was marred by the weather.

"We've been unlucky that the weather is not that good here," Younis said. "The bowlers have responded well with whatever opportunity we get. We did get some outdoor practices and bowlers have done well in that.

The players may have had ample practice ahead of the tour, having been involved in the Pakistan Super League only recently, but they come into the tour without much rest. More significantly, they will be playing in conditions and weather that will be starkly different from what they played in Abu Dhabi. Even as the weather is on the other extreme in England, Younis isn't fussed about it.

"We're coming over from extreme weather and it's tough to adjust from four-over cricket to 10-over cricket. But they are good bowlers and I'm pleased overall. They're coming from hot weather so we didn't need any long tune up."

Pakistan may be coming into the England tour at the back of a fairly packed cricket schedule, with success against South Africa and Zimbabwe, followed by the PSL experience. Much focus will be on Shaheen Afridi and Hasan Ali, who have been the in-form pacers. However, Haris Rauf and Mohammad Hasnain have been off colour. Shadab Khan, Pakistan's lead spinner in limited overs cricket, hasn't been at his peak either following his return from injury. However, Younis is confident that the different conditions in England will help them rediscover their lost mojo.

"When we go to a different country you have to acclimatise first and if we look at the two-three tours, Pakistan's bowlers have responded very well overall," Younis said. "These are new conditions, last year we were a younger side, we are a far better side now. Hasan is bowling really well, we travel in a large pack now because of Covid, so it gives you a chance to work with a larger group of bowlers."

"As I said earlier we haven't had ideal preparation, and though this is not an excuse it would have been good had there been some sun out. When you are playing for your country you are in a different outfit, it's a different ball game. I have high hopes that Hasan, Haris and Shaheen will come good. Hasnain's bowling well and so is Faheem."

Younis also brushed aside the concerns around left-arm pacer Mohammad Amir, who retired from international cricket. Wasim Khan, Pakistan Cricket Board's CEO had recently stated that Amir could be brought back into the setup following reconciliation between him and the coaching staff. The pacer wasn't in good form in the recently-concluded PSL, but if he was to remain available, Younis maintained his stance that he will need to impress the selectors with his performances in order to find a way back into the side.

"To be honest I didn't know that Wasim had gone there and met him and what they discussed, we only found out through the media," Younis said. "He is the head of cricket and has every right to go and see whoever he wants to see. He went there in his personal capacity, we didn't know about it, but the thing has come out and it has caused controversy.

"There is a lot said about Amir and a lot has been said about him already. No doubt he is a fine cricketer, but if he doesn't want to play and doesn't want to take his retirement back and play and impress the selectors, I mean then it is hard. This is Pakistan cricket, it's not yours or mine. You have to do the right things to play for your country, this is not franchise cricket, one has to remember that."