mour_spallet_naprom1704.jpg

Luciano Spalletti responded to Jose Mourinho’s pre-match mind games about already winning the Scudetto and insisted Napoli realise the ‘inconsistency of those following’ could spread to the leaders if they’re not focused. It kicks off at the Stadio Diego Armando Maradona at 19.45 GMT.

With other results in the League throwing up surprises this weekend, the Partenopei have the opportunity to go 13 points clear at the top of the table, while the Giallorossi can catch Inter in second place.

In his pre-match press conference, Mourinho teased Spalletti and the notoriously superstitious Neapolitan fans by repeatedly congratulating Napoli for having “already won the Scudetto” at the midway stage.

Spalletti was asked how he read those statements, knowing that Mou is a master at mind games.

“I never saw a league title won in January by anyone, so I take it as a compliment for what the team has achieved thus far. He is a great communicator, but can make mistakes sometimes too and he knows nobody wins a title in January,” smiled Spalletti on DAZN.

The Napoli coach was asked if the inconsistency of those following could lead them to rest on their laurels a little bit?

“No, because the answer is in the question. The inconsistency of those following show what can happen to anyone during a long season. It is therefore our obligation to bring all our qualities to each game at a time, those qualities that allowed us to reach the top of the table now.

“I hope my players realised that this same approach and behaviour is what we need to keep going with all the way to the end.”
Napoli, Spalletti: "Anche un comunicatore importante come Mourinho può sbagliare…" https://t.co/GInIhqCks8

— TUTTOmercatoWEB (@TuttoMercatoWeb) January 29, 2023