Persistent rain had washed out the second T20I after 4.1 overs of play on Saturday (January 22) and a similar fate befell the teams on Saturday © Getty
Rain played spoilsport for a second straight game in Adelaide with the third T20I between Australia Women and England Women washed out without a ball being bowled.

Persistent rain had washed out the second T20I after 4.1 overs of play on Saturday (January 22) and a similar fate befell the teams on Saturday. The decision to call the game off was made at 15:00 local time with both teams getting a point each from the fixture.

As a result of the abandonment, Australia, who won the opening game by nine wickets, hold a 4-2 lead in the mutli-format series and can retain the Ashes with victory in next week's one-off Test in Canberra that's worth four points. There are three ODIs, worth two points each, that follow the Test match.

In less positive news for the hosts, fast bowler Tayla Vlaeminck was ruled out of the remainder of the series and the forthcoming World Cup in New Zealand after a recurrence of a stress fracture to her right foot. Australia are yet to name a squad replacement for the 23-year-old.