"To me rock and roll isn’t just four idiots banging their instruments really loud"

Yungblud has revealed that he has been working with “hip-hop kids” and “hip-hop artists” on his upcoming new record.

The Doncaster native – real name Dominic Harrison – released his debut album ’21st Century Liability’ last summer. NME hailed the LP as “vital” and “an empathic ride” that touches on important issues faced by today’s young generation.

Now, the 21-year-old musician has offered details on what to expect from his next studio effort. After telling NME that he was “nearly done with the new record” back in July, Harrison said he is keen to share his next project – which dips into the world of hip-hop.

“I wanna drop something right away. Right now,” he told Rock Sound.

“And I’m working with hip-hop kids as well – hip-hop artists. I wanna be an artist on the whole, I don’t wanna be within a genre. I’m a rock and roll kid, but to me rock and roll isn’t just four idiots banging their instruments really loud.”

He added: “Rosa Parks is rock and roll. I’m gonna say what I think no matter what, and fuck you. And that’s the fundamental thing in my heart.”

Yungblud also discussed his views on rock ‘n’ roll in an interview with NME last year, claiming that the genre “is on life support”.

“It’s four idiots in leather jackets singing about fuck all, and it’s not connecting because it’s not real,” he declared. “Young people are not just yobs, they’re very fucking intelligent. We see a future we want to be a part of, and a place we want to get to – but it’s being held back by a generational thing that don’t understand us and aren’t ready for the world to go there yet.”