"I am honoured".

The mother of the late XXXTentacion was in attendance at the American Music Awards on Tuesday night to collect an award on her son’s behalf.

The 20-year-old rapper was murdered in June, but received a posthumous honour as he won Favourite Album in the soul/R&B category.

“I am honoured. On behalf of my son, I would like to thank the AMAs, his fans and everyone who made this possible”, said his mother Cleopatra Barnard.

“Thanks guys, I appreciate it.”

XXXTentacion, real name Jahseh Onfroy, was shot dead as he left a Miami motorcycle dealership in June. Officials claim that his car was being locked by another vehicle when two masked gunmen approached his car, before shooting him and fleeing with a Louis Vuitton bag filled with $50,000.

His mother’s presence at the AMAs comes only days after Vic Mensa dissed the late rapper in front of her in a pre-recorded rap at the BET Awards.

The rapper had a history of domestic abuse charges – which Mensa took aim at during the BET Awards. After the performance, he took to Twitter to argue that while he stands by his comments against domestic assault, he’s sorry for any upset caused to Onfroy’s mother who was in attendance.

“Recently, I did a freestyle for the BET [Hip Hop] Awards cypher addressing and condemning rappers who unabashedly abuse women and those who stand up for them and even call them legends,” said Mensa on Instagram. “I stand behind those statements. It was pre-recorded weeks ago, and I had no idea a grieving mother would be in the audience to honour her lost son.

“I never intended to disrespect her, and I offer my deepest condolences for her loss at the hands of gun violence.”

Meanwhile, the AMAs proved to be a night defined by the triumphs of Taylor Swift and Camila Cabello. You can find all the winners here