Will-Young.jpg

Singer, songwriter, Will Young, has been writing a blog on HuffPost UK and has sounded out on battling with insecurities and how mindfulness gave him back his pop career.

Will Young wrote:

"Nothing was ever enough and I was never good enough. I started acting out my insecurities towards others, insensitive, narcissistic and various other modes of behaviour that allowed my unhappiness to live and breathe and rule me.

There was a light bulb moment. One day I realised I didn't want to be unhappy.
This started with noticing:

1. I began to log every time a damaging thought would arise. Noticing gave me immediate removal from a situation. Noticing meant that I consciously and wittingly became the observer. I was no longer IN my thoughts I was OUTSIDE them watching and being interested in them.

2. I began to gently engage with the voices. One technique that worked in therapy was the chair technique. So talking to that voice, imagining it was me sitting opposite me in a chair.

3. A technique that worked wonderfully for me and still does is something called 'catch and release'. As I noticed a thought come in I would imagine someone had thrown me a tennis ball and I would throw it away.

4. With this I became far more compassionate for myself and therefore for others. I began to experience deep gratitude for my job and deep love for the whole experience

What I have realised in my work life is that there is a me that stands back from all the noise. He had always been there.

Very much unwittingly I began to practice an area of mindfulness that tuned into the true me who had really been observing the whole time. I like him.... he's cool."