Uncanny

A video showing how Rami Malek transforms into the role of Freddie Mercury in the forthcoming biopic, Bohemian Rhapsody, has been released.

In the clip shared by 20th Century Fox, Malek discusses how he landed the role and reveals that “top choreographers” were a hindrance to him portraying the Queen frontman.

“You don’t want to mimic Freddie, you want to be able to understand why he did what he did”, Malek says in the footage.

Read more: Who is Rami Malek, the man playing Freddie Mercury?
He continues: “I realised [that] choreographers are not going to help me. I needed a movement coach.”

Bohemian Rhapsody chronicles the 15-year period between Queen’s formation as a band and their famous performance at Live Aid at Wembley Stadium in 1985.

The cast and crew also share their thoughts on Malek’s performance, interspersed with various clips from the movie.

“Rami has just disappeared entirely,” says actress Lucy Boynton, who plays Mercury’s lifelong companion, Mary Austin, in the film. “The way he moves and talks is so Freddie that it’s completely magical.”

Lucy Boynton, Gwilym Lee, Ben Hardy, Joseph Mazzello, Aidan Gillen, Tom Hollander, Allen Leech, and Mike Myers join Malek in the movie. It premieres in the UK at the SSE Arena on Tuesday, 23 October.

The venue is located next to the famous Wembley stadium, which re-opened in 2007 following extensive redevelopment that saw the original stadium (where Queen played their famous show) demolished in 2003.