The Pearl Jam frontman also brought out Liz Phair during his headline set at Ohana Festival

Pearl Jam‘s Eddie Vedder joined Johnny Marr to perform a cover of The Smiths during the latter’s performance at Ohana Festival yesterday (September 29).

The festival, which took place at Doheny State Beach in Dana Point, California, also saw performances from the likes of Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Plague Vendor.

During Marr’s set, he told the crowd: “Hope you all have a great day, enjoy the rest of it, have a great weekend. I’d just like to take the opportunity to thank a good friend of mine, someone who’ve I’ve admired and has been good to me, and who is an inspiration.

“I’d like to invite him to come up on stage and sing with us now,” he added. “Mr Eddie Vedder!”

The Pearl Jam frontman then joined Marr and his band for a cover of The Smiths’ ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’, with Vedder taking on lead vocals. Watch fan-shot footage above.

Vedder headlined the festival later, including covers of Bruce Springsteen, Cat Power, Neil Young, Tom Petty, The Clash and more in his set. He was also joined by Liz Phair, who had performed her own set earlier in the day, during Pearl Jam’s ‘Better Woman’.

“Now I’m gonna introduce you to a great woman,” Vedder said by way of introduction. “Liz Phair, would you join me on stage, please? This song was really written for a woman to sing and I don’t know if I’ve ever heard a woman sing it, so this is nice.”

Meanwhile, actor Bradley Cooper recently revealed Vedder had warned him against remaking A Star Is Born. “I went up to Seattle and spent four or five days with him and I asked him 9,000 questions,” Cooper said. “And he gave me minor, little things that only musicians know about what to do, just aesthetically and the inner workings.

“He thought it was crazy I was going to do this movie,” he added. “He was like, ‘What? Bro, don’t do that.'”