"Listen Santa to what I say / a girl's best friend is...equal pay"

Miley Cyrus is has put a feminist twist on a popular Christmas song.

The ‘Nothing Breaks Like A Heart’ singer altered the lyrics from the 1953 classic to update it for the 21st century.

Performing it the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon yesterday (December 20) Cyrus sang: “Santa baby / I don’t need any fancy jewellery / Not me / I’ve got something else in mind[…] / Don’t want diamonds, cash or stocks / Nothing that comes in a box / No more fluff, I’ve had enough / And I can buy my own damn stuff.”

As Cyrus continued to perform her version of the song, Mark Ronson and Fallon enter as backup dancers. Topping the singer’s wish list is: “Listen Santa to what I say / a girl’s best friend is…equal pay.”

“Santa baby, I’d love to know my ass won’t get grabbed at work, by some ignorant jerk,” she continues.

Cyrus and Ronson recently collaborated on ‘Nothing Breaks Like A Heart’, which looks set to feature on Ronson’s upcoming as-yet-untitled album in 2019.

The pair performed for BBC Radio 1’s Live Lounge earlier this month. They covered Ariana Grande’s hit, ‘No Tears Left To Cry’, accompanied by a string section.

Ronson revealed to NME that his forthcoming solo album will feature a guest spot from Tame Impala’s Kevin Parker.

“We have a song that we wrote together for my record called ‘Laurie’ that we’re working on,” he said.