"What a beautiful moment," the Foos frontman said

Dave Grohl performed Nirvana‘s ‘All Apologies’ with Warren Haynes during an impromptu gig in North Carolina at the weekend. Check out footage below.

After playing at Warren Haynes’ 30th Christmas Jam, the Foo Fighters frontman joined the musician once again for a surprise show.

Taking place at Asheville’s Orange Peel club, the night welcomed a host of musicians such as former Black Crowes guitarist Audley Freed, Lynyrd Skynyrd drummer Artimus Pyle, and Haynes’ own band Gov’t Mule.

With the evening offering up covers of Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Tom Petty, and more, the crowd were also surprised by Grohl taking to the kit to play the ‘In Utero’ track, ‘All Apologies’.

“When [Haynes] mentioned that song, my initial reaction was, ‘I can’t do that. I shouldn’t do that,” Grohl told Rolling Stone. “But then I think about the people that the song means so much to and has been a part of their lives — that joy and love should be shared.

“And then, as we were playing it, the audience starts to sing along, and I’m crying my eyes out onstage trying to keep it together — what a beautiful moment. And who am I to keep people from that beautiful moment?”

At Haynes’ Christmas Jam the previous evening (December 8), Dave Grohl recruited members of Them Crooked Vultures and Jane’s Addiction for the live debut performance of his latest project, ‘Play’.

Back in August, the musician shared the ‘Play’ documentary which showed him creating the 23-minute instrumental song, tracking all seven instruments himself during its composition.