The Walkmen have gone on what bassist Peter Bauer is describing as an "extreme hiatus."

Bauer revealed that though the band have not split, they have no plans to write or record together in the future and recently played their last live date in promotion of 2012 album 'Heaven'. Speaking to the Washington Post, Bauer also confirmed that he is planning to release a solo album.

Discussing the future of The Walkmen, Bauer says, "We have no future plans whatsoever. I’d call it a pretty extreme hiatus." He continues: "I don't think any of us wanted to write another Walkmen record. Maybe that will change down the line, maybe it won't, maybe we’ll play shows. I think it's weird to make a hubbub about something if there's nothing to really make a hubbub about. At the same time, I don’t think we’ve been a gang properly for a long time, so there's not much to break up, I guess."

As well as Bauer's solo album, frontman Hamilton Leithauser is also due to go solo as well as organist Walter Martin. "I think it’s cool that we’re all still pals and all," Bauer says. "It’s been almost 14 years now. I think that’s enough, you know?"

The Walkmen formed in 2000 and have released seven studio albums, including last year's 'Heaven'. Emerging alongside The Strokes, Interpol and Yeah Yeahs as a raft of bands broke out of New York at the turn of the century, The Walkmen are perhaps best known for their song 'The Rat', which appeared on 2004 album 'Bows + Arrows'.