The film also stars Nicole Kidman

Troye Sivan has opened up about his role in new movie Boy Erased, saying it “definitely struck a chord” with him.

Boy Erased also stars the likes of Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe. Sivan plays a supporting role as a man the central character Jared (Lucas Hedges) meets at a gay conversion therapy program he is sent to by his Baptist parents (Kidman and Crowe). It’s based on Garrard Conley’s 2016 memoir of the same name and was written and directed by Joel Edgerton.

Speaking of filming the movie, Sivan said it was an emotional experience that “definitely struck a chord.”

“I kept remembering how vulnerable I was at that time in my life, when I was first coming to terms with myself and coming out to my parents,” Sivan told NBC News. “Had I not been lucky enough to have the kind of family I had that was so supportive, I don’t know where I’d be today, or who I would be today, or if I’d be here today.”

He added: “There’s a really tangible result that we’re all trying to achieve with this movie which is first and foremost to start conversations and then hopefully end up where there’s 50 laws in 50 states that prevent youth from going to conversion therapy.”

He continued to explain that he’s not necessarily aiming to talk to his huge fanbase with the film. “With my fans, it’s sort of preaching to the choir. They are all on the same page as I am about this kind of thing.

“The people that I’m really trying to communicate with [in] this film are parents and people who would disagree with me.”

“The craziest thing for me was I was about 70 percent done with [my album “Bloom”] when I went to go shoot this movie. I put everything on pause and completely immersed myself in the film,” he said. “Then I got to come back to my real life, which I now realize couldn’t be any further from the film and the story that we’re telling. I just felt so lucky that at the end of the day, I got to go home and keep making my gay album.”

Sivan also collaborated with Sigur Ros‘ Jónsi on a song for the film titled ‘Revelation’. Boy Erased was released in the US on November 2. UK fans will have to wait until 2019 to see the flick.