"They sent me the script and Ed and Brad Pitt wrote to me and said 'We really think you should do this'"

Thom Yorke has discussed how we nearly wrote the score for the soundtrack to Fight Club, but turned it down after the exhaustion of making Radiohead’s seminal ‘OK Computer’.

While Radiohead later penned music for Fight Club author Chuck Palahniuk 2008 film ‘Choke‘, Yorke was so drained from making the band’s third album that he was unable to work on the score for the 1999 classic – despite the efforts of lead stars Brad Pitt and Edward Norton. The score was instead written by Dust Brothers.

“Things sort of come into my office, but they haven’t really got to me,” Yorke told BBC 6 Music about past soundtrack offers. “The one I remember is one from years ago after we’d finished ‘OK Computer’ and I was completely gaga.

“They asked me to do Fight Club. They sent me the script and Ed and Brad Pitt wrote to me and said ‘We really think you should do this’. I went ‘Nah, I can’t’. I couldn’t. I wouldn’t have been able to do it then, but every time I see the film I go ‘Oh…’.”

Asked their song ‘Spectre’ being passed over in favour of Sam Smith for the Bond film of the same name, Yorke replied: “I mean, that wasn’t doing the soundtrack – that was just politics as far as I can work out. Who knows what was going on there?”

Meanwhile, today saw Thom Yorke unveil ‘Has Ended’ from the upcoming ‘Suspiria’ soundtrack.

“It was one of those moments in your life where you want to run away but you know you’ll regret it if you do. I watched the original film several times, and I loved it because it was of that time, an incredibly intense soundtrack”, he said at the Venice Film Festival.