"Get out and vote. I love you guys."

Taylor Swift urged fans to vote in the US midterm elections as she accepted the award for artist of the year at the American Music Awards on Tuesday night.

“This award and every single award given out tonight were voted on by the people, and you know what else is voted on by the people?”, Swift told the crowd at the Los Angeles ceremony. “It is the midterm elections on November 6. Get out and vote. I love you guys.”

Her latest political statement came after the singer urged fans to vote for Democratic candidates in her native Tennessee.

“In the past I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world in the past two years, I feel very differently about that now,” Swift wrote on Instagram as she urged her young fans to register and vote.

“I always have and always will cast my vote based on which candidate will protect and fight for the human rights I believe we all deserve in this country. I believe in the fight for LGBTQ rights, and that any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender is WRONG. I believe that the systemic racism we still see in this country towards people of color is terrifying, sickening and prevalent.”

Swift’s comments then attracted the ire of President Donald Trump – who claimed that the comments had prevented him from being a fan of her music.

Meanwhile, Panic! At The Disco also performed at last night’s AMAs, delivering an impressive rendition of Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody.