"It’s just a matter of time. I just hope it happens sooner than later."

System Of A Down are working on new material that, according to the band’s Shavo Odadjian, “tops everything we’ve ever done.”

The group’s bassist was speaking to Consequence Of Sound when he discussed reported tensions within the group, and whether they might return for their first studio album since 2005’s ‘Hypnotize’ and ‘Mezmerize’.

“Between you and me and this world, and to the people who read this interview, we have material that tops everything we’ve done,” Odadjian said. “And that’s me telling you, honestly. I can’t wait to record that and drop it.

“It’s just a matter of time. I just hope it happens sooner than later. But we’ve written stuff together. [Guitarist] Daron [Malakian]’s brought a lot of stuff in. I’ve brought stuff to Daron and we’ve worked it out. I have so much more stuff that is ready to go out.”

Oladjian also addressed reports of infighting within the group. In the summer, frontman Serj Tankian said that ‘creative clashes’ have prevented a new System Of A Down record.

“We’re not even fighting,” Odadjian said. “When we see each other, we’re so happy and we’re cool. It’s weird that we don’t have a new record, or many records, and it’s weird that we don’t go on world tours. We tour, but it’s so little.”

He continued: “Everything that you heard over the summer, that they kind of brought into public, was stuff that was in the past. That stuff happened a long time ago. So, it’s like, 10 years later, something new came up, but it wasn’t really new.

“It was something that was really old, and they were just hashing it out. Because one person did an interview, and I guess in the interview they paraphrased his words and it came off wrong. And I read that, too, and it wasn’t like him. He wouldn’t blame anyone.”