YOU might notice that the buskers around the city seem to be a little smaller than usual on Tuesday — but you will certainly notice they are amazingly talented.

The elite Sydney Youth Orchestras will swap the concert halls for the city streets as they perform 12 hours of live music at Martin Place, Circular Quay and Central Station from 7.30am, for an expected 600,000 passers-by.

It will be a rare chance to enjoy Australia’s leading youth orchestra, which in August performed the gruelling 90-minute Bruckner Symphony No.8 that makes professional musicians sweat.

“A six-year-old typically trains every day for at least an hour, and this will increase to a minimum of four hours each day when they hit their teens,” Sydney Youth Orchestras general manager Mia Patoulios said.

Sydney Youth Orchestras is the training ground for 550 young musicians between the ages of six and 24, which has been described as the Australian Institute of Sport of orchestral training.

These children come from as far afield as Parkes, Taree and Nowra and travel to weekly rehearsals in the city and Western Sydney for 40 weeks of the year.

“There’s a misconception that all our kids herald from Sydney’s wealthiest suburbs but that couldn’t be further from the truth,” Ms Patoulios said.

“The Sydney Youth Orchestras is for every kid, so long as they have the passion.”

The kids, who are split into 12 different ensembles carefully constructed to match skill, age and experience, will ask for a gold coin donation to support the not-for-profit music school.

Dara Minogue, 7, from Cremorne, plays violin and piano.
“I started playing violin on my fifth birthday,” she said.

“The violin was the present I wanted. Mum tried to talk me out of it but it didn’t work. The violin is my baby and my passion. I play the piano too.

“When I grow up I want to be a paediatrician or a violin teacher or a conductor in Sydney Youth Orchestra.

“Russian composers are my favourite and my favourite piece is Russian Soldiers’ Dance.”

Nelum Purohit, 8, from Strathfield, plays violin and double bass.
“I have been playing violin for five years. Now that I am confident with the violin I am going to take up double bass,” she said.

“I have been at Sydney Youth Orchestra for two years but at my first audition I was worried and nervous until I was accepted and then I was joyful.

“Sydney Youth Orchestras is a really good place to express yourself, play some amazing music and show your talent in music and also make wonderful friends.”

Sora Syrett-Lay, 8, from Coogee, plays violin.
“I started playing violin when I was six years old and I try to practice every day,” he said.

“My favourite piece of music is Worse Than A Curse by Keith Sharp. In the future, I hope to play at the Sydney Opera House.”

William Oeser, 8, from Newington, plays cello.
“I have been playing cello since I was four years old, when I saw a classmate at pre-kindergarten taking lessons,” he said.

“I had to ask my parents for cello lessons for weeks. Now I enjoy playing cello as well as basketball, bowling and online gaming.

“My dream is to perform with the Berlin Philharmonic at the Berlin Concert Hall in Germany in front of my grandparents who live in Berlin.

“My favourite pieces are Sequoia by Brian Holmes and Worse Than A Curse by Keith Sharp.”