The Mercury Music Prize-winner addresses racism in his new book

Stormzy has written about the racism he’s had to deal with in his life and career.

In an extract [via GQ] from his new autobiography released today (November 1), the grime artist speaks of the prejudice he’s faced as being out of his control.

“I’ve had to deal with racism for a long time. I can’t control who listens to my music. I’ve had racist lads commenting from time to time. I’m going to get the problematic parody videos. I’m going to get the neeky renditions, or the neeky politicians or television personalities standing up and using my words,” he writes in Rise Up: The #Merky Story So Far.

“People are entitled to their opinions, of course. People can take what I say and claim it in some way, and I can call shit out, but I can’t control how my words are used, or what people take from my music. There are some serious issues here, but I think that what I’m doing is so new, it’s going to take a bit of time for the general public to get used to it.”

He continues: “We know that racism exists. It’s getting better, maybe, but it still exists. We know that we have to work twice as hard to get anywhere. So when one of us succeeds, we have a responsibility. I’m not trying to be that corny don. I’m not on some presidential shit. I just know that no one is going to help my little brother. You can talk about things, but you have to take action.”

Stormzy also writes in the book that he felt a responsibility to attack the government over the Grenfell Tower fire disaster.