Acclaimed singer-songwriter Stoney LaRue will release his fourth studio album, Aviator, on Oct. 28, and he says the recording process was an incredible experience. "Everything about the process was absolutely wonderful. Now, we're just waiting for everybody else to get it in their hands. It's a great feeling."

One of the mainstays of the Texas music market, LaRue says by virtue of his relentless touring schedule, he has been able to perform many of the new cuts live. "I have been playing some of the new songs at the shows, so the fans are getting familiar with them," he says, admitting that though Aviator has not been released yet, he can't wait to go back into the studio. "I'm ready to go start recording another one."

What is it about the Lone Star State's music scene that is so special? LaRue says the environment has a lot to do with it. "I just credit it with the culture. Everybody loves to be outside with the climate during festival season. You've got the beer drinkers and the barbecues. Every place has its theme, and Texas has Pat Green, Cody Morrow and Jason Boland. I think that star is still burning bright."

Though his last album, 2011's Velvet, was released on his own, Aviator reflects a new recording partnership with eOne. LaRue says having a label behind him is invaluable. "I never really knew how much a label could help, but they did more in six weeks than I've done in 16 years as far as distribution. The label has been great. They've given us creative freedom, and I'm just pumped to see what happens in the next year."

The new disc continues the creative partnership that LaRue enjoys with Frank Liddell and Michael McCarthy. He said it's a relationship that he's very comfortable with. "I did Velvet with them, and we stayed in the same vein. It was almost as if we picked up where we left off -- with a lot of the same musicians. It's such an amazing experience to be in the studio with Frank. He knows a lot. He will sit everyone down before the recording process and give an idea of what we're looking for, and he'll ask for everybody's thoughts. But mostly he will let us do our own thing and lets music be music, and doesn't try to own what it should sound like. It turns into something magical that I appreciate."

One of the highlights of the album is "Studio A Trouble Time Jam," a track recorded at Nashville's historic Studio A. LaRue says they tried to give the cut an authentic feel. "We recorded the album all at once. I call it 'Elvis Style.' Everybody was in there live. It was so historic. Everyone has been in there from Cash to Waylon. You can definitely sense the spirit, as the room breathes with you. I would love to use the studio again for my next collaboration." Hopefully, he will get that chance: The building that houses the studio has been sold, and plans for the building have been unclear -- with rumors ranging from preservation to demolition. "That's one of those things that if I don't think about it, it won't come to fruition," he says, when speaking of the latter.

LaRue will be hitting the road to promote Aviator, both in and out of his native Texas. He's hoping to take his music all around the world, with the help of eOne. "All we can do is keep praying, doing what we're doing, and make sure that our booking agent is aware of what our goals are. I just want to take this music to as many people as we can."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ator-interview