Tool, a progressive metal band who got its start about 25 years ago with an EP entitled "Opiate," have since gone on to release 4 full length studio albums. The lengtbod time between the release dates first became noteworthy with the 5 year gap between Aenima(1996) and Lateralus(2001). I remember at that time a buddy of mine who actually introduced to me to Tool described them as being "this crazy group of dudes who are all master musicians. They take their time inbetween albums so they can work on other projects and develop lots of ideas for the next album." I remember thinking, "wow, thats kinda cool that they actually take themselves that seriously." After about a whole summer of blasting Lateralus in my car and possibly being high on some of the worst weed you can buy while attending public school, I really started to buy into this Tool band. I was blown away by the fact that they used all this weird arithmetic and geometry in their sound. I was amazed when I saw them the first time live and noticed Maynard was just sitting in the back corner, only taking brief moments to step into the spotlight that was more reserved for the instrumentalists of the group. When 10,000 days came out, about another 5 years later, I felt like I had rediscovered the band once more. Their sound didnt completely change, though it changed enough to know that this new album was its own chapter in their career.

What I always hear about it now is how its taking way too long for the new Tool album to be made. While I agree that it would of been cool if we got it 5 years ago, who knows what it would of sounded like? Tool have always been perfectionists, and its the reason why Maynard recently stated that the band is working too slow, changing things often. Im hoping that we get to hear something from these guys soon, as Im sure whatever it is they are working on will at the very least, sound like something weve never before, or at least havent heard in a while. Since 10k days was released I have lived across the country, attended college, started a career, attended more college, started a different career, bought a house, became engaged and now have a baby. I cant wait to hear the next Tool album with all these life events now behind me. Will it change the way I heard their music in a negative way? Maybe all those funky time signatures and Danny Carey magic will seem silly to me now. Or, maybe itll take on a whole new level for me when Maynard sings about the state of mankind at this time, something he has done on every record. A good friend once told me "Tool are like a fine wine, they get better with age." Hopefully this album they are working on will be just that, and maybe of we all just be patient and wait for it, you may just enjoy it a little more.