The TOTP boss had some stern words for the frontman

Shaun Ryder has revealed the reason why he and the Happy Mondays were banned from performing on Top Of The Pops.

The band made their debut on the show in 1989, performing ‘Hallelujah’ with Kirsty MacColl on backing vocals. It was the first time the band had met MacColl, despite her appearing on the recorded track.

They also made their debut on the same show as the Stone Roses, who performed their track ‘Fool’s Gold’. You can watch Happy Mondays in action below.

Speaking on Joe Presents: Unfiltered with James O’Brien, Ryder says that after their debut, the band were banned by the boss of the show.

“We was giggling and this guy didn’t like us giggling, who was the boss at the time,” he explained. “And when he told me to shut-up and I’m a young, silly kid… I mean, this guy’s probably never been told to fuck off and do one before.

“He’s the big boss at Top Of The Pops and some snotty kid says ‘Fuck off knobhead. Do one.’ He’d never come across that obviously, and he banned me for life.” Watch the full clip below.

Last month, it was announced that Happy Mondays and Pulp will go head-to-head in a special episode of daytime TV favourite ‘Bargain Hunt’.

As part of BBC Music Day on Friday September 28, Pulp’s Jarvis Cocker with Candida Doyle will take on Bez and Rowetta Idah from Happy Mondays on the BBC, as part of a special day of shows being staged by the broadcaster.

Now in its fourth year, the event will also see the likes of Kylie Minogue, Gareth Malone and Ella Eyre take part in a “UK-wide celebration of music”.

A special edition of Pointless will feature Shaun Keaveny, Lianne La Havas, Amy Macdonald, Leslie Garrett and Ella Eyre alongside other BBC radio presenters, while Woman’s Hour’will publish Women in Music Power List – “celebrating the top 40 female voices in music, from songwriters and performers to managers and producers”.