SHANIA Twain has opened up on the impact surgery to treat Lyme disease has had on her vocals.

The record-breaking country singer was left scarred but is now on a huge world tour to support her comeback album.

52-year-old Shania spoke to The Mirror about the impact and asked: "Does my voice sound deeper? It does, though, doesn't it?"

While discussing a scar on her neck, she explained: "I thought I'd never sing again... It was nerve damage from Lyme disease. I saw a tick fall off me and I got treated right away, otherwise the damage would have been a lot more extensive.

"I was on tour, and I almost fell off the stage every night because I was so dizzy. I felt lucky when I found out the cause, because the disease can go to your brain or heart."

Battling the condition during her 15-year break from the industry, Shania revealed she decided to make a comeback "seven years after the Lyme disease."

She added: "I started writing more intently and I realised that some parts of my voice were still there. It's been a long process, and now surgery."

It's now 10 years since Shania discovered husband Robert "Mutt" Lange was having an affair with her best friend Marie-Anne.

Shania - now happily married to Marie-Anne's former husband, Fred - discussed the frank lyrics of her comeback tracks.

She revealed: "Songwriting is like a diary entry, though sometimes I listen back and think, 'Oh my God, that's way too personal...'"

Due to bring her Shania Now tour to the UK in October, the singer has enjoyed a chart comeback with track Life's About To Get Good.

Since her 1993 debut, Shania Twain has shifted over 100 million records - a feat which gives her the title of best-selling female artist in country music history.