90267.jpg

Selena Gomez has admitted she is 'guarded' person.

The 22-year-old singer-and-actress released her tune The Heart Wants What It Wants last year, a song she wrote about her highly controversial relationship with ex-boyfriend Justin Bieber.

While they were together their romance was often the subject of tabloid headlines, so the release of her track was a bold statement for Selena.

'You can't talk about anything that you want to share with people because it's going to be ripped apart, and that's what makes me really sad. That's why I had to start doing it through my music and that was the whole reason why The Heart Wants What it Wants came out because I was like I have a right to say what I'm going to say,' she explained on Monday during an interview with Elvis Duran on the Z100 morning radio show.

'If you're going to sit here and talk about my life, I have a right to say what I want and obviously I'm going to do it the way I wish to. But it is unfortunate, and you have to be guarded. I just told you during the break, I don't trust anyone. It's something that I have to live with and I have to find the balance of who I want in my life and who isn't good for me."

Selena, who recently debuted her new track Good For You with A$AP Rocky, is growing a thick skin.

But the star has confessed sometimes it's hard to take criticism, because she's just a normal human being at the end of the day.

"I get sad, I get anxious, I get emotional, I get happy,' Selena noted. 'Especially in my 20s, my gosh! I feel like I'm figuring out who I am and I'm constantly being criticised."