Robbie Williams, A-ha and Neil Diamond are some of the artists to appear on Ed Miliband's Desert island Discs.

The Labour Party leader appeared on the BBC Radio 4 show this weekend (November 24), to pick the eight songs he would take with him if he were stranded on a remote island.

When asked if he had picked the list himself by presenter Kirsty Young, he replied: "It's absolutely my list," he said. "It's a list that is personal to me - some people will not like some of the songs and that's as it should be - but this is a list I chose."

When David Cameron appeared on the radio show in 2006 and cited bands like The Smiths and Radiohead, he was accused of letting spin doctors put the list together to make him look more credible.

Miliband said he picked Robbie Williams' 'Angels' because it reminded him of his "amazing" wife, and A-Ha's 'Take On Me' because he remembers "going to the school disco".

He also chose the hymn 'Jerusalem" because his parents "loved this country", and the left-wing anthem 'The Ballad of Joe Hill' by Paul Robeson and the South African national anthem.

Listen to Ed Miliband's Desert Island Discs here.

Ed Miliband's Desert Island Discs:

'South African national anthem' (Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika)
Hubert Parry - 'Jerusalem'
Paul Robeson - 'Ballad of Joe Hill'
A-ha - 'Take On Me'
Neil Diamond - 'Sweet Caroline'
Robbie Williams - 'Angels'
Josh Ritter - 'Change of Time'
Edith Piaf - 'Je Ne Regrette Rien'

David Cameron's Desert Island Discs
Bob Dylan – 'Tangled Up In Blue'
Benny Hill – 'Ernie'
Pink Floyd – 'Wish You Were Here'
'Felix Mendelssoh' (performed by Kiri Te Kanawa) – 'O, For the Wings of a Dove'