Pete-Townshend.jpg

The new album Classic Quadrophenia moves the Who rock opera to the world of classical music with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and the London Oriana Choir conducted by Robert Ziegler and tenor Alfie Boe.

Unfortunately, this 'symphonized' version will not have a chance to compete with other classical works on the charts and that has Pete Townshend fuming mad.

Townshend said on his Facebook 'Classic Quadrophenia is not allowed in the UK classical charts? Musical snobbery in the classical elite still alive and kicking then. Fuck 'em.'

He later added that 'There's a huge team behind this, rooted in the practical world of recorded classical music, who deserve better than this petty slap-down. I know I'm a rock dinosaur and I'm happy to be one, but the team behind Classic Quadrophenia are all young, creative and brilliant.'

Townshend is in the process of having all of his music reset for orchestra in the hopes that future symphonies will program the pieces to draw younger listeners to concerts.