'Make Kanye 2006 again'

Pete Davidson took to Saturday Night Live last night to hit out at Kanye West‘s recent controversial appearance, remarking that ‘being mentally ill is not an excuse to act like a jackass’. Watch his full speech below.

Last week, West gave a speech at the end of the show, which was not broadcast. It was captured by Chris Rock, who shared it on his Instagram Story. In the speech, the rapper discussed Trump, his aims to run for President, and being “bullied” about his Make America Great Again hat. SNL‘s Kenan Thompson then spoke out about West’s behaviour, saying he held the show’s cast members “hostage”.

Now, Davidson has had his say on the episode – giving a speech on SNL while wearing a hat that read ‘Make Kanye 2006 Again’.

“What Kanye said after he went off the air last week was one of the worst, most awkward things I’ve ever seen here,” said Davidson. “And I’ve seen Chevy Chase speak to an intern.”

Davidson continued: “He started by saying people backstage tried to bully him into not wearing it. He wore it all week. Like, nobody told him not to wear it. I wish I bullied you. I wish I suggested that, you know, it might upset some people, like, your wife or every black person ever.”

“You know how wrong about politics you have to be for me to notice?” Davidson added. “Kanye is a genius, but like a musical genius. Like Joey Chestnut is a hot dog-eating genius, but I don’t want to hear his opinion about things that aren’t hot dog-related.”

Referring to Kanye’s bi-polar diagnosis, Davidson ended by urging West to take his medication because “being mentally ill is not an excuse to act like a jackass.”

Speaking of his diagnosis earlier this year, West said: “I’m so blessed and so privileged because think about people that have mental issues that are not Kanye West, that can’t go and make that [album] and make you feel like it’s all good.”

Meanwhile, Charlamagne Tha God will host a live mental health talk with Kanye West later this month. ‘The Breakfast Club’ radio DJ and the rapper will come together to discuss issues surrounding mental health at a TimesTalk event held at New York’s Town Hall on October 17.

Charlamagne Tha God announced the talk on his Instagram page, sharing a poster for the event. “Oct 17: Join me for a @Timestalkswith @kanyewest about Anxiety, Therapy, PTSD and all the other Mental Health stuff we don’t discuss enough,” he wrote in the caption. “Also discussing my new book #ShookOne “Anxiety Playing Tricks On Me” moderated by @joncaramanica of the @nytimes. Buy tickets before they’re gone link in my bio!!!”

West has also revealed he plans to finish recording his new album ‘Yhandi’ in “what is known as Africa”.

“I need to go, I need to find out what it’s really called,” he said. “Just grab the soil and be and cook food, five meals a day so the metabolism stays up, have my kids in the studio, and have the mic in the open so you can hear nature while we’re recording.”