"Yes! He likes it"

Paul McCartney has revealed that John Lennon only complimented him on his songwriting ability once – on a fan favourite track from ‘Revolver’.

The Beatles icon was speaking as part of an extensive ‘60 minutes’ profile interview for CBS, when he joked about the rare moment he shared with Lennon back in 1966.

“It was ‘Here, There and Everywhere’,” said McCartney. “John says just as it finishes, ‘That’s a really good song, lad. I love that song.’ And I’m like, ‘Yes! He likes it!’”

McCartney then said that he would often compliment Lennon, but that “you’d normally have to be a little drunk.”

In other Beatles news, it was recently announced that the band’s seminal ‘White Album’ is due for re-release to celebrate the record’s 50th anniversary.

First released on November 22, 1968, the 50th anniversary of ‘The White Album’ will be celebrated with a reissue housed in a series of “lavishly presented” packages, with its 30 tracks having been newly mixed by producer Giles Martin and mix engineer Sam Okell in stereo and 5.1 surround audio.

It will be released across a number of CD, vinyl and special art packages on November 9, with pre-order available now.

Meanwhile, today also saw McCartney announce the release of his first ever children’s book Hey Grandude – due for release in September 2019.

“I’ve written a new children’s picture book,” said McCartney. “It’s called Hey Grandude! Why? Well… I’ve got eight grandchildren and they’re all beautiful and one day one of them said to me “Hey Grandude!”. I said “What?” and I thought, I kind of like that, so from then on I was kind of known as Grandude.

“So I thought, you know what, it’s actually a nice idea for a book, so I started to write some stories, and then I talked to the book publishers and they liked what I was doing.”