The Beatles star has to put the practice in before his shows

Paul McCartney has revealed he has to relearn classic Beatles songs before shows because he can’t remember them.

The legendary musician released his latest solo album, ‘Egypt Station‘, last month (September 7). In a four-star review, NME said: “McCartney’s always been about inclusivity and openness, but this latest glimpse into his life feels like a particularly enlightening one.”

In an interview with 60 Minutes, McCartney spoke about his preparation for his live shows. “When I’m doing shows I listen to a lotta music, Beatles music, Wings music, to see what ones we’re gonna do,” he said. “And to learn them.”

Asked if that meant he’d forgotten them, he replied: “Yeah. There’s too many. Too many words. Too many notes. They’re very hard. I mean, you know, it’s not like they’re all three chords.”

Earlier this week, McCartney revealed his old bandmate John Lennon had fears over the way he would be remembered.

“I remember him once particularly strangely, out of the blue, saying, ‘I worry about how people are going to remember me,’” McCartney said. “And I was like, ‘John listen to me, look at me. You’re going to be remembered as one of the greatest people.’”

The Beatles’ seminal record ‘The White Album’, meanwhile, will be celebrated later this year as it reaches its 50th anniversary. The double LP will be given a special reissue in November, with the album housed in a series of “lavishly presented” packages.

Of the album’s place in the band’s history, McCartney said: “We had left Sgt. Pepper’s band to play in his sunny Elysian Fields and were now striding out in new directions without a map.”