The book contains essays written by the Beatle on such works as 'The Return of The Native' and 'Paradise Lost'

One of Sir Paul McCartney‘s old school books, which contains notes and grades written in by his English literature teacher, will be sold at auction next week.

Omega Auctions in Merseyside will conduct the sale at 11AM on Tuesday (March 26) as part of their ‘The Beatles Collection: Memorabilia & Vinyl Records’ auction, with the auction house estimating that this lot in particular will reach a final price of between £4,000 and £6,000 – although estimates of £10,000 have also been quoted.

The green book contains English essays, notes and doodles written by the Beatle when he was 17-18 years old and studying at the Liverpool Institute High School for Boys. McCartney’s essays on such classic literary works as Thomas Hardy’s The Return of the Native and John Milton’s Paradise Lost are included in the text book.

All of McCartney’s essays are marked in the book by his teacher Alan “Dusty” Durband, who taught the musician English literature between 1959-60. Durband’s notes and grades can be seen in the book, with the teacher at one point telling his student: “I’d answer the question first before challenging its truth.” See the extract in question below.

Beatles expert Mark Lewisohn’s book The Beatles – All These Years: Volume One: Tune In quotes McCartney’s fond reflection on that period of his education. “I did most of my reading in (that) little period of my life… I thought it was a bit swotty, a good image… I felt like I was at university.”

Earlier this month, a passionate letter written by John Lennon was sold at auction in the US. The text saw Lennon railing against the music industry for their perceived ill-treatment of his and Yoko Ono‘s ‘Two Virgins’ album.