"I don't listen to people".

Paul McCartney has responded after Damon Albarn claimed that he was “trapped” in an “abusive collaboration” with Kanye West.

Earlier this year, the Blur frontman criticised Kanye after he teamed up with both Rihanna and the Beatles icon on 2015’s ‘FourFiveSeconds’.

“Don’t get me started on Kanye West,” Albarn told French Magazine Nouvel Obs.

“I’ve got a problem with that abusive collaboration. Kanye West trapped Paul McCartney.”

He added: “I see Paul McCartney in the video. But I don’t hear Paul McCartney on the track”.

Now, McCartney has responded for the first time – admitting that he’s always been a fan of following unexpected routes.

“I love the respect someone like Damon is attributing to me, but I’m not that fussed,” McCartney told GQ.

“If I want to go somewhere else from where I normally go or where I’m expected to go, I’ll go. And if I enjoy it, that’s enough for me. The great thing is, all sorts of hysterical things come out of it. I mean, there’s a lot of people think Kanye discovered me. And that’s not a joke.”

McCartney was also asked if he remembered receiving a text from Albarn that told him to “beware” of working with Kanye.
“He might have. I don’t remember”, he responded. “But I wouldn’t listen to him. I don’t listen to people.”

After working with Kanye on the track, the rapper also offered to produce McCartney’s latest album ‘Egypt Station’ – an offer that was politely turned down.
“I kind of knew what direction I wanted to go in. And I knew that would be very different from where Kanye would go with it”, he admitted.