PM praised the group's debut album when talking about city of Hull winning Capital of Culture for 2017

Paul Heaton, the Housemartins and The Beautiful South singer-turned-landlord, has barred David Cameron from his pub, describing him as an "imbecile".

The move comes after the Prime Minister mentioned he was a fan of The Housemartins during the announcement of Hull as Britain's next City of Culture.

Cameron name-dropped the '80s band while speaking at the House of Commons earlier this week. "Of course in terms of popular music Hull has a fantastic record," he said. "I remember, some years ago that great Housemartins' album which was 'London 0 Hull 4'."

Heaton posted a message on the Facebook page of his pub, The Kings Arms in Salford, to tell fans that the PM was banned.

"David Cameron you f****** imbecile," he wrote. "You might think The Housemartins are great but you are BARRED for life from The Kings Arms. SCUM."

When asked who else would be refused entry he listed Sting[a/], [a]Phil Collins[a/] and Jeremy Clarkson, before heading to Twitter to continue to criticise Cameron.
Well, apparently David Cameron likes London 0 Hull 4. Which part of the attack on his policies and rich friends did he like best???
Paul Heaton (@PaulHeatonSolo) November 20, 2013

I cant stop Cameron liking one of my albums, but who can stop him & his mates destroying the NHS?
— Paul Heaton (@PaulHeatonSolo) November 20, 2013

This isn't the first time the PM has been attacked by one of his musical heroes. Both [a]Morrissey and Johnny Marr ordered him to stop listening to their music after he talked about The Smiths on Desert Island Discs.

Despite the demand, Cameron has told BBC News that he continues to listen to the band. He said: "I've now got Johnny Marr and other members of the band saying I'm not able to listen to the The Smiths. When I've got the complete and full set, even then, I'm afraid, I will go on and listen to The Smiths."

Leaton bought pub The Kings Arms in November 2011 after growing worried about the "fractured" local community. His most recent solo record, a 'soul opera' called 'Paul Heaton Presents the 8th', was released in July 2012.